DEPARTMENT OF AQUACULTURE
Being an institution that comes under minority status and the geography of a coastal belt where the college is located, the undergraduate Programme offered by the department namely B.Sc. Aquaculture is the best of its kind helping in the career attainment and/or self employability of the students. The area of the College is thickly populated with fishermen community or people depending on fishing as their livelihood and so also are a lion part of student clan of the department.
Renowned fishery scientist late Dr. K.H. Alikunhi, Ex. Director, Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE) and former consultant to FAO and a native of Eriyad took active interest in instituting the department and beginning of B.Sc. Course in Aquaculture. The Department was established in 1995. The course got permanent affiliation as regular programme in 1998. The course was restructured in 2009 under choice based credit and semester system (CCSS). Yet another revision of syllabi occurred in 2014 at the time of introduction of CUCBCSS system by the affiliating University.
|B. Sc. Aquaculture||6 Semesters||+2 or equivalent|
Dr. Ignatius C. A. (1999-2018)
Seminars, Workshops, Exhibitions, In-house training for students, Career Counselling sessions, Aquarium setting and Construction, Scientific advice and assistance in water quality determination and disease diagnosis & treatment (for fish/shrimp farms and hatcheries), documentary shows, Social Service activities including those related to fishermen welfare including farmer’s training and awareness programmes.
HIGHER STUDY OPTIONS
- M. Sc. Courses in Cochin University of Science & Technology (CUSAT) – Marine Biology, Industrial Fisheries & M. F. Sc. Seafood Safety and Trade.
M. Sc. Courses in Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS) – Disaster Management, Biotechnology & Bioinformatics, Marine Microbiology, Marine Biology, M.FSc
- M.Sc. Marine Biology – Berhampur University, Odisha.
- PG Diploma Courses in Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS)- PG Diploma in Aquarium Science and Technology, PG Diploma in Industrial Aquaculture , Diploma in brackish water and marine aquaculture
- M. Sc. Programme in Pondichery University- Marine Biology
- M. Sc. Programme in Kerala University- Aquatic Biology & Fisheries
- M. Sc. Programme in Calicut University- Aquaculture & Fishery Microbiology (MES Ponnani College, Ponnani)
- M. Sc. Programmes in Mahatma Gandhi University- Applied Fisheries & Aquaculture (St. Albert’s College Ernakulam – autonomous), College of Applied Sciences, Chuttippara, Aquaculture and Fish Processing (SH College, Thevara – autonomous)
- Any other Biological Science related PG Degrees or integrated PhD in IISER, IISc etc. after clearing their qualifying tersts and interviews
- M.Phil or PhD programmes in any area of Life Sciences under any University or Research Centre in India
- Research opportunities abroad
- Assistant Professors in Colleges and Universities (After acquiring PG Degree and clearing National Eligibility Test of CSIR-UGC or ARS of ICAR)
- Scientist B level position onwards (after acquiring PG and clearing ARS examination of ICAR)
- Aquaculture experts in Govt. firms(for the above positions. M.Sc. degree is the minimum qualification)
- Aquaculture farms and Hatcheries: From Supervisor level to Manager level.
- Business Executives in MNCs including CP Aqua (Charoen Pokphand Foods – Thailand)