Department of Botany at MES Asmabi College was started in the year 1969 with Pre-degree course. The department was upgraded as U.G. Department in the year 1978 with Botany as main subject and Zoology and Chemistry as subsidiary subjects. Post graduate programme in Plant Science was started in the year 2001, which has been renamed as MSc Botany in 2015. The department has been approved as Research centre in Botany by University of Calicut in 2013 and offers research programme leading to Ph.D in various disciplines of Botany.
The department aims to provide basic knowledge in natural world especially concerning the plant life. Plant identification, knowledge about medicinal plants, preparation and distribution of different Biofertilizers and biopesticides , knowledge sharing to other school and college students for Science fair and other project work are some of the extension work the department is offering. The department by doing all these keeps a link with the society for upgrading the knowledge in the field of Science. The Department has established a successful MoU with Western Ghats Hornbill Foundation to work in the tribal and forest areas for the research on Environment and benefits of Tribal community.
|B. Sc. Botany||6 Semesters||+2 or equivalent|
|M. Sc. Botany||4 Semesters||B.Sc. Botany|
|NAME||YEAR OF TRANSFER OR RETIREMENT|
|Prof. K K Abdul Khader||1982|
|Prof. T M Mohammed||1995|
|Prof. P Govindan Nair||1998|
|Prof. P V Jyothi||2004|
|Prof. S Sobhakumari||2004|
|Prof. P B Nabeesa||2005|
|Prof. P Remanikumari||2011|
|Prof. B Soharabeevi||2011|
|Dr. K J George||2013|
|Dr. K K Vaheeda||2015|
- Regional Bala Sasthra Congress in collaboration with Kerlala Sasthra Sahithya Parishath on 6th & 7th January 2017
- National Science Day celebrations -‘Fragrance 2017’ (Date: 16th February 2017)
- Invited lecture by Dr. A.V. Santhoshkumar A.V., College of Forestry, KAU
- WORLD WETLAND DAY CELEBRATIONS 2017 Walk to Vallivattom Cheepumchira wetland on 3th Feb, 2017
- Research and PG Department of Botany in association with NSS Asmabi College conducted seminar on world environment day on 5-6-2017. Student from Fine Arts College participated on the occasion to convey environment day message through their drawings. Sri Rajesh Nalinakshan, DFO, of the Vazhachal Forest Division was the chief guest of the day.
- Bhoomithrasena club members with students of dept of Botany of MES Asmabi College, P. Vemballur visited Aquaponics system in a private sector which was funded by Marine Products Exports Development Authority (MPEDA) at Cherai, North Paravoor on 5th July 2017.
- OZONE DAY CELEBRATIONS 2017, 26th September 2017
- Intercollegiate Seminar on “Climate change policy making: Indian and global perspectives” on 4/10/2017
- BASICS IN ANGIOSPERM TAXONOMY ON 22ND &23RD NOVEMBER,2017
- WORLD WETLAND DAY CELEBRATIONS 2018
- ENVIRONMENT DAY CELEBRATIONS, JUNE, 2018, 7th of June, 2018