DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
Empowering educationally and socially underprivileged communities through English.
Transforming our students to participate in society as informed, impartial and sagacious citizens
To enable our students to overcome the language barriers by providing a language rich environment
To inculcate the habit of reading and enhancing visual literacy.
To provide literary, analytical, pedagogical, and theoretical skills as part English studies and preparing our students for careers and higher education
To make our students oriented towards life-long learning and independent research.
|B. A. English Language and Literature||6 Semesters||+2 or equivalent|
|M. A. English Language and Literature||4 Semesters||B. A. / B. Sc.|
|Dr. Muralikrishnan T R (H.O.D)||Associate Professor||M. A. , M. Phil, Ph. D, B. Ed., PGDELT, PGDHE, M.A(MCJ)||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Reena Mohamed P. M.||Assistant Professor||M. A. , B. Ed., NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Jameelathu K. A.||Assistant Professor||M. A. , B. Ed., M. Phil, NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Sabitha M. M.||Assistant Professor||M. A. , B. Ed., NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Reshmi S.||Assistant Professor||M. A. , M. Phil., B.Ed., NET||VIEW MORE|
|Smt. Ramlath||Assistant Professor||M. A., NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Sajna||Assistant Professor||M. A. , NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. Mona||Assistant Professor||M.A., NET||VIEW MORE|
|Smt. Amitha P Mani||Assistant Professor||M.A, NET||VIEW MORE|
|Smt. Veena Lekshmi U R||Assistant Professor||M.A , B.Ed., NET||VIEW PROFILE|
|Smt. K.B Biji||Guest Lecturer||M.A.|
|Smt. Raiba P B||Guest Lecturer||M.A.|
|Smt. Sincy siddiq||Guest Lecturer||M.A. B.Ed|
|Name||Date Of Transfer Or Retirement|
|Prof. H Narayanan|
|Prof. K R Mohandas|
|Prof. J Damu|
|Prof. Saburabi P M|
|Dr. Bindu Jamal|
- Sri VayalarSarath Chandra Varma talked on “Native and Non -native languages”on 19th February 2013 as part of English Association Inauguration.
- G Department of English conducted the Invited Lecture Series, ‘How to Manage a Project’ on 28 November 2013. Resource Person was Dr. PK Babu, H.O.D Department of English KAHM Unity College, Manjeri
- English Association inauguration was conducted on 22ndJanuary, 2014. Dr. T.V. Sajeev, Scientist of KFRI, Thrissur spoke on the topic ‘Life and Literature: Reflections’.
- Invited talk on ‘Women and Society’ byKhadeejaMumthaz (Writer & Activist) on 4th August 2014
- Department organized two day UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Contemporary Asian Literature in English: Exploring Culture, Identity and Politics” on 27 & 28 October 2014.
Renowned poetMs. MeenaKandasamyinaugurated and delivered keynote address at the function.
The other invited speakers were:
Dr.Janaki, Reader, Calicut University
Dr. B .Hariharan, Institute of English,
Dr. Prasantha Kumar, SreeSankara University.
- Invited Lecture on “Shakepeare Lives” as part of commemorating 400 death anniversary by Dr. Vijayaraghavan in association with ELTAI Chennai in September 2016
- “ICT in learning English” talk by Dr. Vargheese K.J. Associate Professor, Department of English, Christ College Irinjalakuda as part of the Inauguration of English Association on 16/1/17
- English Association was inaugurated by Sri. Jainlal V S, Associate Professor, SNM College, Maliankara on 12 February 2018.
Our department has from its inception adhered to the noble doctrine of education to bring out all round development of personality. Opportunities and platforms are provided for children to develop their personality through community service. Our department constantly focuses on campus community linkage.With an array of extension programmes we were able to leave our indelible imprint among the populace of P. Vemballur . The communicative English training imparted to the neighbouring schools as part of the social extension programme of the college- GRAMIKA is successfully marching on to the third year receiving accolades from students and teachers alike.
- ‘EDUTAIN’; an activity oriented communicative english training programme was conducted as part of GRAMIKA 2016 on 7 Dec 2016 at GLP School, P.Vemballur. PG students of the department were the trainers of the programme.
- On 8 Dec 2016, a homeo medical camp was organised for the neighbouring community. ( Ward 20 SN Purampanchayath) The camp was conducted in association with Theeram library. Premises of Sree Krishna Mukham temple was the venue of the programme. Dr.Sreejith, chief home medical officer, Govt. Dispensary was in charge of the camp. People thronged in large numbers for the camp and consultation and medicines were given free of cost.
- An activity oriented communication enhancement training programme was conducted for the students of Govt L.P. School, P. Vemballur and AMLP school, P.Vemballur on 7 Feb 2018. Studemts of II MA English and II BA English were the trainers of this ICT enabled training programme. Action songs, games, tongue twisters and memory tests were part of the training module.
The PG Department of English conducted Reading Day celebration on 19.06.2013. Different competitions were organized to conscientise students on the magical charm of words.
The P.G Department of English organized a week long Reading Festival from 18 June -25, 2015. Games focusing on the four skills of communication, quiz competition, vocabulary enhancement games, book introductions (Khaled Hosseini, Shashi Deshpande) were the major highlights of the week long reading festival. ‘Bayen’ and ‘French Lieutenant’s Woman’ was enacted by our students as part of the same.
A book exhibition was organized by the department as part of reading day celebrations on 22 and 23 June 2016. Students thronged in large numbers to the exhibition venue. Recitation competition, elocution competition and film review were conducted for students. The movie ‘The First Grader’ was screened for the film review competition.
Smt. RadhikaSanoj inaugurated the reading day celebrations of 2017-18. She addressed the gathering on the alluring power of words. Smt. Jameelathu introduced the book………Recitation, elocution and film review competitions were organized for students. The movie ‘Rabbit Proof Fence’ by John Pike was selected for screening.
Sri. R.K. Damodaran , Malayalam lyricist was the chief guest of 2018-19 reading day celebrations. He talked at length about the charm and elegance of literature. ‘Turtles can Fly’ by BahmanGhobadi was screened for students. Books were introduced by first PG students to junior batches. Novels of Dan Browne, Rohinton Mistry, Paulo Coelho were introduced.
SAMPLE QUESTION PAPERS